Top 10 Free Source Code Editors
1. Notepad ++
Notepad++ is an open source replacement for the original Notepad program and supports numerous languages. Even though it is built for Microsoft Windows, it can also support on Linux, Unix, BSD and Mac OS X (using Wine). Instantaneously upon starting Notepad++ you will see the difference between it and the original Notepad.
There are loads of extra buttons and features like plug in support, tabbed editing, drag and drop, split screen edit, synchronized scrolling, spell checker (via an included plugin), find and replace over many documents, file comparison, zooming and much more.
Visit: Notepad ++
TextWrangler is the powerful specific reason text editor, and UNIX and server administrator’s tool. At its mainly basic, a text editor is a tool for simply editing text. You can use a text editor for a wide selection of tasks from cleaning up data, to editing configuration file on your server.
- Plugin support and macros
- Built in FTP and Secure FTP
- SSH support for remote file editing
- Syntax highlighting
jEdit is an extremely popular text editor designed for programmers. jEdit’s strengths lie in it’s easiness, power and wide support of Unicode, Text Encoding Sniffer, Customize Syntax Coloring, Fully Customize Key Bindings, Object Embedding (image, Quicktime Movie and files) and much more.
It’s of particular request to those working with Java and XML due to a great search engine for usual expressions, syntax highlighting and auto-indentation.
4. Crimson Editor
Crimson Editor is a best source editor for Windows. This program is not just fast in loading time, but also small in size (so small that it can be copied in one floppy disk). While it can serve as a fine replacement for Notepad, it also offers numerous powerful features for programming languages.
- Syntax highlighting
- Auto indentation
- Compiler integration
- Ability to add bookmarks
Araneae (pronounced ah-RAN-ee-ay) is a simple, yet powerful text editor, providing only the features necessary to create websites and scripts using the latest web technologies.
Besides, Araneae is absolutely free for non-commercial use. So you may use it as long as you like for your individual projects. That’s it. No catches, really.
6. EditPad Lite
EditPad Lite is a compact common purpose text editor. Use EditPad Lite to simply edit any kind of plain text file. Edit Pad Lite has all the crucial features to make text editing a breeze:
- Large file and long line support.
- Full Unicode support, including complex scripts and right-to-left scripts.
- Direct editing of text files using Windows, UNIX, and Mac text encodings (code pages) and line breaks.
- Tabbed interface for working with many files.
ATPad is a easy Notepad replacement written in pure C and Windows API. Keeping simplicity of Notepad it offers numerous additional features, like:
- Tabbed environment – especially useful for working with many files (for example, logs).
- Fully customizable editor – colors, fonts etc.
- Lines numbering – it’s hard to find these days any respectable editor which does not support this feature.
- Word wrapping – can anyone write long scripts without it?
- List of recently open documents – ATPad stores this list accordingly to MAC address, so “Recent Files” on your laptop will look different from “Recent Files” on your desktop machine! But if you run the program from removable drive and work with files on this drive, they will be always presented in list, regardless of MAC address of hosting computer.
- Keeping last session – start the work exactly from the point you’ve finished (all said above about list of recent documents is true against last sessions as well).
8. RJ TextEd
RJ TextEd is a full featured text and source editor with Unicode support. It is also a extremely powerful web development editor. The efficiency extends beyond text files and includes support for CSS/HTML editing with integrated CSS.
RJ TextEd gives support for a wide range of programming languages, such as C++, C#, Java, Pascal and PHP, as well as for Unicode and ASCII.
Visit: RJ TextEd
9. Komodo Edit
Komodo Edit is the freeof cost and Open-Source editor that makes it easy to write quality code. Komodo Edit supports many for just language like Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, and Tcl.
KompoZer is a totally web authoring system that combines web file management and simple to use WYSIWYG web page editing.
KompoZer is designed to be extremely simple to use, making it ideal for non-technical computer users who want to create an attractive, professional-looking web site without needing to know HTML or web coding.